The following information provides generic wording for the most commonly filed grievances and is to be used as a reference.
The wording may be adjusted to take into account the specific issues being grieved. As well, grievors using this information must ensure that they have knowledge of the appropriate articles in their collective agreement so as to ensure the correct articles and/clauses are cited.
Grievance #1 - Job Content
I grieve the employer’s failure to provide me with a complete and current statement of duties and responsibilities. This violates Article ______ (Statement of Duties) of my collective agreement.
That I be provided with a complete and current statement of the duties of my position, effective from ______________ (date) and be made whole.
Grievance #2- Classification
I grieve the classification of my position.
That my position be reclassified upwards effective _______ and that I be made whole.
Note: PSAC provides the following advice in respect to all classification grievances:
- Members should grieve both the job content and classification grievances at the same time;
- Members should know, in advance, that their classification grievance MAY be rejected as “inadmissible” or “premature”, but new grievance rights will be triggered once a new work description is reviewed by classification and the notification is issued;
- All union representatives should address effective date issues during the job content grievance process, by including an effective date as part of the remedy requested.
Grievance #3- Termination
I grieve the letter of termination dated (insert date) signed by (Insert Name of the Employer Representative and Job Title).
I request that the letter be immediately withdrawn and removed from my personnel file and destroyed in my presence or that of my union representative. I request reinstatement without loss of pay and benefits and that I be made whole.
Grievance #4- Suspension
I grieve the letter of suspension dated (Insert Date) signed by (Insert Name of Employer Representative and Job Title).
I request that the above-noted letter be immediately withdrawn, all copies destroyed in my presence or that of my union representative. I request reinstatement without loss of pay and benefits and that I be made whole.
Grievance #5- National Joint Council
I grieve that I have not been treated within the intent of the (insert name of NJC Directive) in that my employer did not (insert your particular details).
That I be treated within the intent of the (insert name of NJC directive) by providing me with (insert particulars) and that full redress be granted so that I be made whole.
Grievance #6 - Performance Review
I grieve the contents of my employee performance review (also known as an employee appraisal) dated (Insert Date Here) signed by (Insert Name of Employer Representative here) for the (Beginning Date) and (End Date) review period.
I request that the above-noted employee performance review and all copies be withdrawn and destroyed in my presence or that of my union representative and that I be made whole.
I request that a different employee performance review document be completed for the above-noted review period which more accurately describes my actual job performance which was at least fully satisfactory for this review period.
Note: Instead of filing a grievance to challenge an employee performance review (employee appraisal), a member may decide instead to prepare his/her own employee performance review for the period in question and ask to have it placed on his/her employee appraisal file. This way those who consult the appraisal file can form their own opinion as to the actual job performance of the member for the review period in question. If this course of action is chosen, the member should follow-up to ensure their document is actually placed on their appraisal file
Grievance #7- Personal Harassment
I grieve that the employer has contravened the Treasury Board of Canada’s policy on the prevention and resolution of harassment in the workplace by failing to provide me with a harassment-free workplace.
I grieve that the employer has contravened Department of ________internal harassment policy on prevention and resolution of harassment in the workplace by failing to provide me with a harassment-free workplace.
I grieve that the employer has contravened Treasury Board Secretariat’s Values and Ethics Code for the Public Service by failing to adhere to the application of the Code while dealing with my issues.
- That appropriate action be taken and that I be immediately provided with a harassment-free work environment, and that I be made whole.
- That my employer takes corrective action towards those responsible for this harassment to ensure that this behavior does not occur again.
- That an investigation take place in accordance with the Treasury Board policy.
- That my employer foster a respectful workplace through the prevention and prompt resolution of harassment.
- That appropriate training for all staff and management be provided.
- That the filing of this grievance not prejudice me in any future dealings with my employer.
Grievance #8- Term Employees
I grieve that the employer has not respected the Treasury Board Secretariat Term Employment Policy.
- That the employer renew my term as of (date) without a break in serviceor
- That the letter of non-renewal of term employment be withdrawn and that I continue to be employed by the federal government.
- That I be placed in either the same position or a similar position at the same group and level without loss of benefits or pay, or that I be placed in a vacant position within the department until I receive my indeterminate status without any loss of pay and benefits or break in service.
- That I be made whole.
Grievance #9- Duty to Accommodate (Discrimination based on Disability)
I grieve that my employer has denied me accommodation measures in the workplace as per the Departmental and Treasury Board policies thus causing me serious financial, physical and psychological damages.
I grieve that because of my disability my employer has discriminated against me in an ongoing manner thus the employer has violated the Canadian Human Rights Act, as well as article 19 and all other related articles of our collective agreement.
- That management put in accommodation measures immediately as per my outlined medical condition.
- That I be compensated for all losses including pay and benefits, as well asany additional expenses that may result from this situation.
- That I am compensated by the employer in the amount of $20,000 for pain and suffering, psychological and physical damages I have suffered and will continue to suffer in an ongoing manner due to my employer’s neglect.
- That I am compensated by the employer in the amount of $20,000 for the reckless and willful discrimination I suffered.
- I expect and demand that the filing of this grievance will not prejudice me in any future dealings with my employer.
- I demand that any tax implications resulting from this grievance be the responsibility of the employer.
Grievance #10- Workforce Adjustment
I grieve that the employer has violated Appendix (insert Appendix #) of my collective agreement and all other related articles by failing to provide every reasonable opportunity for me to continue a career as a public service employee.
That all terms and conditions of the Workforce Adjustment policy found in my collective agreement are upheld by the employer.
Grievance #11- Salary/Acting Pay
I grieve that the employer is not paying me appropriately for the duties I am performing. I am asked to perform the duties of a higher position. As a result, the employer is not following the provision of Article ________ (Pay Administration) of my collective agreement.
That I be paid in accordance with my collective agreement for the performance of the duties I am required to perform, retroactive to the date on which performance of these duties began (specify date).